My magnificent collossal dreams

Do you want to know what's really on my mind? It's silly really but whenever I daydream, I think of elephants. 

Not just ordinary elephants, although all of them are majestic and awesome. I'm dreaming of something bigger. I'm always dreaming of something bigger. This obsession with giant elephants was probably the reason I chose this image for my latest rebranding. It's a reminder to continue to think bigger! 


It all started with a YouTube video. Someone posted a YouTube video about a robot dog and after I watched it I saw all these other robot animal videos on the side of the screen but one of them stood out. I clicked on it and it has stayed with me ever since. It was the "robotic" (actually its a hydrolic puppet but lets not split hairs) elephant known as the Sultan's Elephant. It was made by a French company called La Machine.


You can watch the whole spectacle here:


I was never the same after that. My ambition for festivals grew greater and greater in magnitude. If they could make something like the Sultan's Elephant in Europe, what kind of amazing large scale event could I do in Tacoma? I want to do something so big that people from all over the world would come here to see it. 

I was studying Coney Island because I want to do an event with a Coney Island type of theme next year. That's when I discovered Lucy and her relatives. Lucy was an elephant shaped hotel. There is a very interesting account of her whole story here:

http://www.impactlab.net/2007/07/29/lucy-the-elephant-hotel/

Here are some vintage images I found online:




Are they trying to tempt me? Practically giving me blueprints?

And of course who could forget the Moulin Rouge elephant?

Actual Moulin Rouge photo

Here's the unforgettable scene featuring Sabine's elephant in the Hollywood version of Moulin Rouge:






So now I ask you, is it asking too much to hope someday I will have a giant elephant of my very own? Will he walk down the street? Will he shelter overnight guests? Will he bring people from all over the world?

I don't know. I only know that I dream of elephants.


XOXO,
Duchess of Downtown Tacoma

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Steps to better living (Wed. Feb. 8th)

What's in a name? Who are the Jossy's and where did they come from?

Elon Musk isn't the only one interested in the underground