BONUS Blog - Snow pics, Food, Shopping , Services and COOL STUFF YOU SHOULD KNOW

Usually I organize these blogs by location but this time I've organized it by topic. We start with my snow pictures, then we see delicious food and drinks, then we shop, then I show you some cool services you can find downtown and at the very bottom I've included some projects related to downtown that you should really check out including a big event happening on Monday at the Tacoma Convention Center featuring lots of local businesses and workshops called Shift Happens which you do NOT want to miss. I personally selected the musicians so I vouch for their brilliance and our Mayor will be giving the second EVER Annual State of the City address. This event is brought to you by Go Local Tacoma and the Greater Tacoma Community Foundation. 


Snow week pictures 

My city is ever-so-pretty but never more so when she's covered in snow. I captured a few shots last week in case your were housebound and didn't get to see it. Another thing I love about living in downtown Tacoma is that we never lose power during incumbent weather. If Clear Channel ever has their way and we get those flashy billboards, we should put up a sign when it snows that says, "If you lived here you'd be warm right now!"










And one of the coolest things about a snow storm is that some restaurants stay open and the locals gather inside to toast the pretty white stuff. I had some delicious food downtown these last couple weeks so this next section is all about the grub!

Food

India Mahal
823 Pacific Ave, Tacoma, WA
Connect on Facebook
253-272-5700

I love that I live near this restaurant because I get to eat there about once a week. One thing I really love about it is that I can try something new and if I don't like it, I don't have to pay for it. They ENCOURAGE you to explore new menu items so this week I tried two new things and I loved them both! They also have mild, medium and hot (spicy) options. These are my own personal plates because I usually get my food to go and scurry back to my girl cave to enjoy it. 

Chicken Korma

Gosht Korma (beef)


Imported beers


Paddy Coynes
815 Pacific Ave, Tacoma WA
http://paddycoynes.net/

I'm also in this restaurant quite often. Its my favorite location for client consultations. I love the ambiance, food and fireplace. Here are some of the delicious dishes they offer:
 

Fog City Steak Sandwich - Skirt steak marinated in
ginger, soy and sesame oil, grilled medium rare and
served on a garlic buttered toasted baguette,
topped with sesame seeds.

Fog City Steak Sandwich (different view)

Shepherd’s Pie - A traditional Irish pub favorite.
Braised ground beef, garlic, onions, carrots, celery and peas.
Served en casserole, topped with mashed potatoes
and browned to a golden crisp.
Served with Irish Soda Bread.

Chicken Skewers Teriyaki glazed chicken skewers. Served with peanut sauce.


The Villa Caffe & Imbibery
1328 Market Street, Tacoma, WA
(253) 222-4184
http://www.thevillacaffe.com

Connect on Facebook 

I can often be found at this place too. I go here to hang out with my girl friends or if I want to watch something on live TV. This is where we watched the finale of The Voice when Vicci Martinez was on it. I also like running into so many friends there. This tiny restaurant is in the same building as the Villagio Apartments so they also have a regular crowd of residents that come in. They also have free wifi so its a great place to work away from home and also get a meal that feels home cooked. 


Beef Stew


Streetcar Sandwich - turkey, bacon, coastal white cheddar
and their homemade chipotle mayo

Artisan Plate - only $5.00 during Happy Hour (4-6 pm)

Stone IPA

Wingman is a new local downtown brewery.
Jason the bartender/owner of The Villa gives this brew his seal of approval.

Amazing Happy Hour selections with ridiculously low prices


Smooth & Juicey
122 Market Street, Tacoma WA
http://www.smoothandjuicey.com/
Connect on Facebook

From the "Skinny Menu" this is a Green Acre's Smoothie.

From the "Skinny Menu" this is a Berry Berry Nice Smoothie.

You thought I was joking about the Skinny Menu, didn't you! :)

Act now if you want to try out their Juice of the Week!


Shopping 

Broadways Best Antiques 
742 Broadway St, Tacoma WA
Connect on Facebook
Look at this amazing shabby chic country cabinet from the 1930s.
I would so buy this and put a chandelier in front of it.



Unique collectible 1920 or 1930s salesman's aid for curtain rods and hardware salesman.

I was frustrated that I couldn't get a good picture of this lamp because it is super cool. Its a Space Needle floor lamp created from repurposed lamp parts made by a local artist who wishes to remain nameless. I kept getting a reflection in the window but at least this was a cool reflection. I like the juxtaposition of a Seattle landmark being slightly obscured by a Tacoma one. Can you see Old City Hall?

Historic Tacoma rare porcelain Foss tug sign,
large glass Japanese float and reproduction Mark V diving helmet.

This sculpture was created by a local Native American artist named Stephan August. They don't JUST have antiques there. They also have art, custom made lamps and lots of other cool stuff. Its a remarkable store. You really should go there.

Have a cow! Very good condition cows skull. I think he likes you! :)

1940s Antique mahogany settee and chair.

Victorian Parlor floor lamp

This week 600 monkeyshines glass orbs were hidden throughout Tacoma in honor of the Chinese New Year. People are still scouring the town trying to find them. If you failed to find one and you feel an emptiness inside that only a glass ball can fill, you can always go old school and buy one of these Japanese floats at Broadway's Best Antiques.

Are you boared? hahaha Check out this boars head I found at Broadway's Best Antiques.
Doesn't he look like he's laughing? :) YOU'RE WELCOME!

Jewell Day Spa
2501 6th Ave, Tacoma, WA 98406
(253) 572-5224
http://www.jewellspa.com 



Next week I'll tell you more about their services and show you even more picture but this week I want to give you a peek at the retail store in the lobby of the spa and some of the cool stuff I found in there. 


I super-duper love this ring and all of its cute friends! 


These flowers can be attached to your hair, your hats or even to your clothes.
Here's me modeling one of the flowers I got from Jewell. :)

If you failed to find one of the 600 monkeyshines glass balls hidden throughout Tacoma earlier this week you can still go buy one at Jewell Day Spa. These are by glass artist Michael Jewell. Happy Chinese New Year. Year of the Dragon! Raaaaaaaawrrrr! :)


253 Heart Necklace by my friend Linda Danforth.
The essential Tacoma fashion accessory.

These amazing glass flowers were created by local artist Deidre Perez Norris.
You can also see behind it that Jewell Day Spa has 253 Heart clothing and really cute scarves.


More information about Deidre's art

Services

Computer Hub
919 Pacific Ave, Tacoma WA


I pried my fingers away from my laptop long enough to take it in for a tune up at The Computer Hub on 10th & Pacific Ave yesterday. He did such a great job that I wanted to thank him by telling you guys about the store. They do Verizon phone service, they have phones for sale and they do PC, Mac, ipad and iphone repair. They also have various computers and accessories for sale. I saw a Mac for sale there for $499 and PC laptops from $199!!! And there are more mac's and pc's where those came from.
Check these out:











Clara Spa

Membership at Clara is $25 a month and you get unlimited access to the steam room, gym, lounge and swimming pool as well as 20% off all services. Yesterday I snuck into the men's locker room to give you guys a look at what you could be enjoying. The men's locker room not only has its own Eucalyptus steam room but they also have a sauna and a lounge with a big screen TV and men's magazines. If I had a man and I needed to park him for a while so I could go shopping, I think this would make the perfect men's daycare center. Get him a massage, a haircut and then let him relax and watch TV in the lounge or go workout in the gym or just chill in the hot tub, steam room or sauna. Sounds pretty good, right? And the best thing is if you have a membership, you can add a second person for just $10 a month.

Clara Spa is inside the Courtyard Marriott Hotel and right next door
to Pacific Grill.

Lobby

Swimming pool and hot tub

Lobby
Men's lounge with leather furniture, waterfall coffee table, TV and men's magazines.


Men's products available inside the men's locker room

Poledello
715 Commerce Street, Tacoma, WA
http://www.poledello.com/



I wrote a glowing review this place in my Jan 13th blog so I'll quote their website this time. I couldn't agree more with this description and one day I hope I will be brave and take one of these classes:

Experience an EXHILARATING and highly challenging workout in a unique, intimate and supportive environment! Gain flexibility, build extreme strength and express yourself through music and movement! We believe that all women deserve to feel beautiful, sexy and empowered! Pole Dancing is a fun and effective workout and gives each of us permission to play and discover hidden talents and the super heroine within.
Come to Poledello for an extraordinary fitness experience!
 








Other projects related to downtown Tacoma

Tacoma Stories

http://tacomastories.com/

Camp 6 

http://camp6tacoma.com/


South Sound Users Guide

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/83495061/south-sound-users-guide

News Tribune Article about South Sound Users Guide


Shift Happens Event  this Monday Jan 30th

The whole Community is invited!

It is FREE to attend Shift Happens but there are also additional Sustainable Smart Lab workshops for just $10 per person between 1:00-4:00 pm. Please Register for each lab you would like to attend. CLICK HERE for more info.

Smart Lab 1:00-2:30 pm – Expanding Tacoma’s Entrepreneurial Potential
Smart Lab 2:30-3:00 pm – Unlocking Your Situated Advantage: the hidden wealth potential of body, place, and commons
Smart Lab 3:00-3:30 pm – Customer Acquisition Tool Box
Smart Lab 3:30-4:00 pm – Becoming a BEST Business



Free to the public:

4:00-5:45 pm Local Food and Beverage Extravaganza Happy Hour – FREE

20+ food vendors, cocktails and networking
4:00-4:45 Music by Heidi Stoermer
5:00-5:45 Music by Voxxy Vallejo (acoustic duo)

6:00-6:45 pm Shift Happens 2012 program – FREE

2011 Pledge Grand Prize Giveaway – Indie Awards – Mayoral State of the City Address

6:45-9:00 pm Local Vendor Showcase – FREE

Experience 100+ unique Local Independent Businesses, Non Pro fits and Artists + Desserts!

6:45-7:30 Music by Nick Sandy
7:45-8:30 Music by Shane Lance (lead singer of Roman Holiday)
To learn more visit:
http://tacomashifthappens.com/shift-2012/



Hope to see you there!

XOXO,
Duchess of Downtown

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Steps to better living (Wed. Feb. 8th)

What's in a name? Who are the Jossy's and where did they come from?

Elon Musk isn't the only one interested in the underground