All roads lead to Mercy


When I tell you that there is a link between witches, angels and fairies I know that it sounds like a wacky conspiracy theory. But I've been researching my ancestry for a few years now and these things just keep jumping out at me. These blogs are just a collection of the evidence. The conclusion of these facts is up to you the reader. I'm just documenting things I discovered about my ancestors in this blog. 

One story in my ancestry really fascinates me is the story of my 7th Great grandmother Mercy Disbrow (sometimes spelled Disborough). Any discussion about the Connecticut Witch Trials especially in the academic collegiate circles usually includes Mercy's story. More details about that below. This story just won't leave me alone. 

As I researched other famous people, Mercy and her husband Thomas's names kept showing up in the relationship path. Here are a few examples of our common relations:

  • Drew Barrymore my 18th cousin once removed.
  • Thomas Paine my 17th cousin thrice removed.
  • L. Ron Hubbard my 16th cousin once removed.
  • Dan Reynolds of Imagine Dragons is my 16th cousin four times removed.
  • King of the Franks Louis I, The Pious is my 32nd great grandfather.
  • Ingmar Bergman is my 24th cousin twice removed.
  • Johann Wolfgang von Goethe is my 18th cousin four times removed.
  • William J. Clinton, 42nd President of the USA is my 13th cousin thrice removed.
  • Andrew Jackson, 7th President of the USA is my 12th cousin four times removed.
  • Daniel C. Beard, Founder of the Boy Scout of America is my 15th cousin.
  • Manly Palmer Hall is my 11th cousin once removed.
  • Truman Capote is my 16th cousin four times removed.
  • C. S. Lewis is my 13th cousin once removed.
  • Edgar Allan Poe is my 14th cousin once removed.
  • Count Lev Nikolayevich Tolstoy is my 22nd cousin once removed.
  • Sir Isaac Newton, PRS is my 11th cousin 7 times removed.
  • Eleanor d'Aquitaine, Queen Consort Of England is my 22nd great grandmother.
  • William Faulkner is my 17th cousin twice removed
  • John Ernst Steinbeck, Jr. is my 13th cousin twice removed.
  • Aidan Mac Ainmuire, High King of Dalraida is my 43rd great grandfather.
  • Malcolm II "The Destroyer", King of Scots" is my 28th great grandfather.
  • Michael I of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen, King of Romania is my 13th cousin once removed.
  • John I "Lackland", King of England is my 21st great grandfather.
  • Duncan I, King of Scots is my 26th great grandfather.
  • Ghislaine Noelle Maxwell is my 22nd cousin once removed.
  • Elizabeth II, Queen of the United Kingdom is my 14th cousin.
This is not all of them, just some examples that showed me that Mercy and I share this lineage. Was she a real witch? Did she possess some type of magic? All I know is that she was tried 3 times for being a suspected witch. Even when found guilty, she escaped and continued the family line. Depending on which version of the story you get, a random attack of Native Americans on the village is what allowed her to escape execution. 

Here are some books that have been written about Mercy:

"Witchcraft Prosecution : Chasing the Devil in Connecticut"

https://www.amazon.com/Witchcraft-Prosecution-Chasing-Devil-Connecticut/dp/0897259149/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Witchcraft+Prosecution+%3A+Chasing+the+Devil+in+Connecticut&qid=1630966172&s=books&sr=1-1



"Mercy Disborough: a tale of New England witchcraft"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1275806740/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1


Escaping Salem: The Other Witch Hunt of 1692 (New Narratives in American History)

https://www.amazon.com/Escaping-Salem-Narratives-American-History/dp/0195161300/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Escaping+Salem&qid=1630959320&s=books&sr=1-1


Here is my relationship path to her: 

Mercy Disbrow is my 7th great grandmother.

Angela Jossy → Carl Jossy
your father → Inez Isadora Imus
his mother → Jiles Herbert Imus
her father → Hiram M. Imus
his father → Charles Lemuel Imus
his father → Lucy Imus
his mother → Ann Buck
her mother → Abigail Gould
her mother → Mercy Disbrow
her mother

Did I mention they teach a class about her at Yale University? 

LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION:

Another thing about Mercy's story that was interesting to me was that she lived in Fairfield Connecticut - a town rumored to be full of magic. Who could doubt it? It's right there in the name! 

A name given to it by none other than Roger Ludlow, my fourth cousin 12 times removed.

Fairfield means flat land of the fair people (Fairies). 

Connecticut takes its name from an Algonquian word meaning “land on the long tidal river"

In this fairyland next to the river you'll find not only tales of witches but also fairies, secret tunnels, hauntings, a road named Dracula and something really spooky called the "Melonheads."


Google "Mercy Disbrow" or "Mercy Disborough" for more information about this famous American Witch. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Steps to better living (Wed. Feb. 8th)

What's in a name? Who are the Jossy's and where did they come from?

Elon Musk isn't the only one interested in the underground