Wellness Wednesday (Aug. 22nd 2012) Lash Dip, Food as Medicine, Home Workouts and more!

Welcome to Wellness Wednesday, where its all about self improvement and being the best we can be, outside and in. I welcome your suggestions for wellness in the comment section below. Share with us what you do!

Last week I tried something brand new. I already have eyelash extensions on my upper lashes from Eye Candie (which I LOVE) then I got an offer from a friend at Clara Spa (Sylvia Sheridan) to have a new treatment done to make my lower lashes look darker and thicker too. The treatment is called Lash Dip. Its like a mascara that lasts 3 weeks and never flakes or smears. I stopped wearing mascara when I got my lash extensions so my lower lashes were kind of invisible. I didn't mind that look but this is nice too.

The name "Lash Dip" is a bit misleading. She didn't dip my lashes into something, rather she painted a solution on to them. The process was not uncomfortable for me but my eyes did water a little. After she applied each coat of the solution she dried the lashes with a tiny hair dryer. That part tickled and gave me a little chuckle. I swear it must have been the worlds smallest hairdryer! It resembled the water squirter thingy the dentist uses. 

One word of caution though, in the first few days that followed this treatment I did find that a few of my upper and lower lashes kind of stuck together a couple of times but it didn't hurt and it was very easy to separate. I guess that's the price you pay for LONG lushes lashes! :) I also had to get used to the stiffer feel on my lower lashes. My instinct was to clean them off with my fingers but of course it stays there for about 3 weeks so that's not possible.  Over all I think this is a fabulous treatment and I'd recommend it especially if you have blond or light brown lashes. You can throw away that nasty mascara crap for good! I'm finding less and less need for makeup and on hot days like this, that's a relief.

Clara Spa Salon & Studios 
Flutter Professional Eyelash Extensions & Makeup Artistry
1506 Pacific Avenue, Tacoma, WA.
253.682.2005
http://www.ClarasSpa.com
http://www.FlutterProLashes.com
Connect on Facebook
Read her blog
Here are a couple of before/after pictures from her website:

LashDip Semi-Permanent Mascara

LashDip Semi-Permanent Mascara:

I'm working on some freelance promotional work for a couple of upcoming events the farmers market is putting together (more on that next week) and they paid me in food! How awesome is that? So far I've got a bag of cherries, pork chops, romaine lettuce, bread and crab. Yum! I'm trying not to use all my tokens at once and its hard because everything looks so fresh and delicious!

Speaking of my freelance work, if you need someone to edit and critique your press releases (or make one for you) please let me know. I can design a whole promotional campaign for your business or event. Email me at angela(dot)jossy(at)gmail(dot)com for more information. 

I'm really focused on eating well and this is the best time of year to do that. All the farms are bursting with fruit and vegetables now, its harvest season! If you haven't checked out your local farmers market you are really missing out. I love knowing that there's no hormones, antibiotics, GMO's or dangerous pesticides in my food. And I love supporting my local farmers.

Tacoma Farmers Market 
S. 9th St. & Broadway, Tacoma, WA
http://www.tacomafarmersmarket.com
Connect on Facebook


Bautista Farms

How to mix the perfect juice or smoothie:


Terry's Berries

Ayala Farms 








I've been reading about milk and I'm not liking what they're saying. I decided to try a non-dairy milk. I've discovered that I like almond milk and coconut milk just as much as regular cows milk. I haven't tried all of these yet:


It doesn't say so in this graphic but almond milk works great in cereal. Speaking of cereal, I'm avoiding the ones with corn or corn syrup because most of the corn in the US is genetically modified by companies like Monsanto. Why is that bad?

"A new study has been published showing genetically modified foods “can significantly impact the viability of human cells”. Some estimates show upwards of 85% of corn crops are genetically modified. Corn is used to make corn syrup and other ingredients used in up to 70% of processed foods." - Elizabeth Dougherty, Special correspondent, Food Nation Radio (click on her name to read the whole article)
 
There was a time when we trusted everything in the supermarket because there was this thing called the FDA looking out for our wellbeing. Too bad that didn't work out.

Speaking of working out ....

Exercise 

When it comes to exercise, I think there's a little part of me that doesn't believe it would actually work or that I would be able to stick to it. For me, a little inspiration like this goes a long way. Check out these before/after pictures from people who do home workouts published on this blog called Body Rockers



You can do these workouts in your own livingroom where no one has to see you in your workout clothes gasping and sweating. Hopefully after a couple of months you'll look so good you'll WANT to workout in public to show off your moves! Another benefit of doing this at home is you can do it in the middle of the night when the temperature is cooler.


Emotional Wellbeing 

All of the above can help with your physical wellbeing but what if you still don't feel good on the inside? How do you know if you're emotionally well? If you're stressed out, drinking a lot of alcohol, complaining all the time and arguing with people you care about, chances are you need to look into your emotional wellbeing.

According to this article, people will good emotional health:

  • Believe that there is a good balance to their life between leisure time, activity, and work
  • Feel good about themselves, and don't suffer from self-esteem issues
  • Believe that there is a purpose to their lives
  • Are able to accept changes better and just go with the flow
  • Enjoy living, and know the value of fun and laughter
  • Have less stress, and are better equipped to deal with stress
  • Have better relationships with others
  • Are contented with their lives

The author, Diana Rodriguez, says:

"Focusing on your emotional health isn't hard, but it may be an adjustment for you. Some simple — and really enjoyable — changes are all it takes to boost happiness and well-being. Follow these ideas to strengthen your emotional health:

  • Exercise. It protects physical and emotional health, relieves stress, and makes you feel good.
  • Make time for laziness. You don't have to be constantly on the go — that's how you get run down. Spend a little time each day or each week doing something you enjoy that is completely frivolous. For example, watch TV or a silly movie, chat on the phone, play a game, or just listen to music.
  • Spend some time in the sun. With sunscreen, of course. But sunlight is a great natural way to boost your mood.
  • Deal with your emotions. Learn how to properly deal with stress, anger, and anxiety instead of keeping them bottled up inside.
  • Be healthy inside. This means avoiding junk food and sticking to a healthy diet. You should also steer clear of smoking, drug use, and too much alcohol.
  • Treat your senses. Do little things that make you happy and stimulate your senses, like lighting a scented candle, buying some fresh-cut flowers, indulging in a massage, or treating yourself to your favorite food or drink.
  • Sleep. Everyone gets cranky without enough sleep, so dedicate adequate sleep time every night. Or treat yourself to a nap every now and then.
  • Be creative. Spend some time learning new things, like a new language or skill (for example, music or knitting). Even just working in your garden can help you relax and feel satisfied.
  • Adopt an animal. Pets offer fun, relaxation, and a whole lot of love. They can encourage you to exercise, and tear your attention away from stressful activities.

The bottom line is pretty simple: take time for happiness. Allow yourself to enjoy life, fun, and relaxation. Be thankful for what you have, and enjoy it."

That sounds like pretty good advice to me. Let's give it a shot! :)


XOXO,
Duchess of Downtown


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Five Steps to better living (Wed. Feb. 8th)

What's in a name? Who are the Jossy's and where did they come from?

Elon Musk isn't the only one interested in the underground