Wellness Wednesday (August 8th, 2012) Reality check, party of one! Let's get real.

Sorry about the lack of Wellness last Wednesday. I was having a moment. You know how you sometimes just stop and say, "What am I doing?" It was like that. Lots of self reflection. Lots of trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. Stuff like that. Luckily I am surrounded by Goddesses of inspiration and wisdom and got some great advice and support. I highly recommend inviting your best girl friends over for dinner and just saying out loud those loathsome things that you tell yourself but you really don't mean. If you don't have people around you that you can sort that stuff out with without judgement, try the technique in this video that a very smart friend of mine shared with me this week. This is Byron Katie. As my friend put it, "This is radical shit." 


I know, right? OK, moving on. 

Electra Spa
5209 Pacific Ave., Tacoma, Washington 98408
(253) 431-2039
www.electraspa.com
Connect on Facebook

Earlier this week I tagged along with a friend to her electrolysis appointment and got a free trial to see how it all works. You know those little stray chin and lip hairs that we don't really like to talk about? Well, their days are numbered. I was a little intimidated by the process before I actually saw it. I was afraid the zap would be alarming, or worse, painful. It wasn't. I barely even felt it. Compared to waxing, this is a cinch. I'm definitely going back for the full treatment. I won't be able to retire the tweezers right away but with a little time and patience maybe we won't be such BFFs.


Services include: electrolysis, facials, waxing, massage, foot detox, ear candling and soothing body wraps.

There's no denying it. It's full on summer now. Don't get me wrong, I love summer but a few of those candid outdoor photos really brought to attention the dreaded arm fat I was really trying not to notice. Seeing it definitely made me wish I was slightly more committed to my work out program. And by committed I mean, actually having a workout program. I have no excuses! I work for myself, I have a membership at Clara Spa that includes use of the Courtyard Marriott gym, I have a bicycle and I live just a few yards away from a great big hill that is just aching to be climbed. And yet, I still get winded when carrying the groceries. The other day I caught myself thinking, "I wish I was skinny. I'd do ANYTHING if I could just be skinny!" Then I heard myself and I was like, "Bitch, please! You'd do ANYTHING? Anything except actually doing something about it!!!" I really let myself have it over that one. I need to make some changes. Here are a couple of totally free programs I've been looking into: 

The Couch to 5k in 9 weeks running program

C25K, is a fantastic program that's been designed to get just about anyone from the couch to running 5 kilometers or 30 minutes in just 9 weeks. http://www.c25k.com/. There are lots of resources there and even an iphone app!

Get Running App for iPhone: Based on Josh Clark's famous Couch to 5K plan, Get Running lets you run at your own pace. It alternates walking and running for the first six weeks, to ease you into running without leaving you exhausted. Get running figures everything out for you — the best days to run, how long to run for, and when to take a day off! Click here for more info on the app.


If you're like me and you'd rather do your beginning workouts in private, you could try this one: 

 Online work out videos you can do at home, no gear required. 

Of course eating healthy is a big part of wellness and fitness. I've been focusing on eating only whole, organic and local foods. 
You can get almost all of these things at the Tacoma Farmers Market!
Eye Candie Shop
728 Pacific Ave. Suite 200, Tacoma, WA.
http://www.theeyecandieshop.com/
Connect on Facebook

I got my lashes filled in this week after waiting way too long in between visits. I lost quite a few and I had some gaps but they still looked pretty good actually. I was still getting questions and compliments on them. Now they are nice and thick and I feel very flirty again. Almost makes up for the flabby arms!



This is a woman named Karolina before getting lash extensions.
Here she is after!!! Wow, right? These things are AWESOME and they last about 3 weeks depending on how fast your hair grows.

Thanks for taking this wellness journey with me. We'll get there eventually. :)

XOXO,
Duchess of Downtown

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Steps to better living (Wed. Feb. 8th)

What's in a name? Who are the Jossy's and where did they come from?

Elon Musk isn't the only one interested in the underground