Wellness Wednesday (July 18, 2012)

Well: that's the theme of this weeks Wellness blog. Well, actually, "well" is always the theme of the Wellness Wednesday blog. OK, now that we're clear on that, let's get on with it. Shall we? :)

Get off your ass and take a walk. That's what I've been telling myself all week as I sat behind a computer designing my Duchess of Downtown playing cards. The sun was shining and everyone was posting all their fun summer pictures on facebook and I was in my girl cave staring at Photoshop. Then came their beautiful sunset pictures. Then nightlife and city lights photos. Finally I got done with my project and the sun was gone but it was plenty warm enough for a nice walk nevertheless. I highly recommend walking around downtown because there are so many beautiful buildings to see and we have great hills to climb which is super for tighting up your hiney. I like to start on Pacific Ave and walk up 11th street to Smooth & Juicey on Market Street for a smoothie. Its a sweet reward that's totally guilt free.

Recently did another route, I went up 8th Street, cut over on Commerce Street to the Spanish stairs next to the old Elks building and up the slow slope of Broadway. Broadway is not steep like 11th Street but its a nice steady incline. Here's one of the buildings I love along that route:
This is the Old City Hall building. Its sitting empty and that makes me sad but its one of my favorite buildings downtown. Did you know that this building was designed to evoke the splendors of Florence Italy? The city is doing some construction work on Commerce street right now so that's why those vehicles are there and the road looks a little torn up. More information about this building can be found here
Here are some great health advice graphics I saw on Facebook and Pinterest this week:





I also ran across this great deal while walking on Pacific Ave downtown.

Expand Yoga: http://expandyoga.com/
Did you know Tacoma had a bicycle polo group? Me neither! How cool is that! Trish and I saw them practicing in the Temple Theater parking lot this evening. I think that is so awesome! What a great way to get active.




Eye Candie Shop
728 Pacific Ave. Suite 200, Tacoma, WA.
http://www.theeyecandieshop.com/
Connect on Facebook 

I got my eyelash extensions filled in this week and as I mentioned before, there are different styles, different lengths, different curl degrees and all sorts of things I never knew about before. This time Stacy gave me a thicker kind that I am SUPER happy with. I loved them before but now they look so amazing that I haven't even been wearing eyeliner on the bottom lid anymore. Eyelashes make you feel so girly! Stacy was telling me that she does these on women undergoing or just finishing up with chemo treatments because it helps them feel better about how they look. I totally get that. What an awesome gift this would be for someone in that situation!

Here are some shots of my new lashes. I'm so glad you couldn't see me trying to take these pictures. I felt like a total dork!


These lashes are a bit stiffer than the ones I had last time so I have to kind of rearrange them after sleeping because they can get a little rumpled as you can see in this photo.

Jewell Day Spa
2501 6th Avenue, Tacoma, WA 98406
PH#253.572.5224
My pal Sonia Jewell of Jewell Day Spa. Don't ask me why she's holding a scantily clad barbie doll. I don't know the full scoop but there's a whole back story there and it involves our wacky friend Maureen and a doll scene that would make 50 Shades of Grey fans blush. Sonia was at Art on the Ave asking all her friends to pose holding this doll. We all did it without questioning why. We're used to this kind of tomfoolery. 
To check in on what's happening with Jewell Day Spa following the fire they had a couple weeks ago, go to Sonia's blog for the latest developments: http://www.empowernetwork.com/jewellstories/?id=jewellstories


Clara Spa  
1506 Pacific Avenue, Tacoma, WA 98402
Connect on Facebook
253.682.2005
http://www.ClarasSpa.com


I always get my mani's and pedi's done at Clara Spa by Rosie but tomorrow the owner, Destiny, is having me come in for a "surprise" treatment which I'll be telling you about next week. I literally have an appointment with Destiny! In the meantime, this week we have $20 off coupons and a special offer from the nail salon in the ART BUS VIP swag bags. So if you come on the tour with us Thursday July 19th you can get one. 

Speaking of ART BUS, I created our very own deck of Duchess of Downtown playing cards so we can play a fun game during the tour. Here's a sneak peek at the proofs I approved today.

Come along with us and let's see how many of these faces you can recognize!
I am so excited to give out this incredible prize stash we have! Check out this motherload!

* Pair of tickets for any ART BUS tour in 2012
* Pair of tickets to Museum of Glass
* Pair of tickets to Bumbershoot Music Festival in Seattle
* Breakfast for two at Old Milwaukee Cafe,
* Tickets to upcoming Warehouse concerts 
* Queen Bee Salon Treatment from Embellish Multispace Salon  


I hope you can join us! 

XOXO,
Duchess of Downtown

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Steps to better living (Wed. Feb. 8th)

What's in a name? Who are the Jossy's and where did they come from?

Elon Musk isn't the only one interested in the underground