Wellness Wednesday (July 25th, 2012)

Sunshine! Don't you just love summer in Tacoma? Just enough sun to give us a warm glow but not so strong that you have to hide out inside air conditioned spaces. And it doesn't stick around so long that we ever take it for granted. When the sun comes out in Tacoma people feel almost obligated to do something outdoors. Don't we? This weekend is ripe for backyard barbeques, festivals and spending time in any of our terrific local parks. I love to get out there and take an evening stroll through downtown. My advice to you is to get outside this week and consciously appreciate the trees, the flowers and all the greenery that makes Washington Washington. I'm a walker but if you like to run, here are a few tips from runners about running:


I'm also seeing a lot of people out there on bicycles and I'm reminded of my youth when I had my little pink bicycle (that I named "Spider" for some reason!) and how much I loved to just ride around for no reason just to feel the wind in my hair. I was the master of that bike, we were ONE! I wonder if I will ever feel that way again on a bike. If you'd like to get back on the bike there is a place near downtown called Tacoma Bike where you can get yourself a brand spankin' new bicycle. If your budget is tight or you have a bike that needs a little TLC you can contact 2nd Cycle, a volunteer run community bicycle project to support educate and advocate for cyclists (both new and experienced) in the Tacoma community. They  provide workspace, literature, a knowledgeable volunteer staff and they sell used parts and bicycles.



I also notice that Good Karma (Center for Joy) has a lot of cool mind/body activities going on right now. Here's some stuff they posted recently:

Upcoming stuff: this week:
Thursday: Yoga 6:30-8:00pm $8 studio
Meditation 6:30-7pm $5 meditation room with sand
Friday: Concert in the park outside, lunchbox- free
Saturday: 8 Limbs of Yoga- donation-
meditation 10am.10:30 $5
Inquiry Workshop 3-5:00 $25 with Kathy (exploring stories/reality)
Sunday:10:30-11:30 Vinyasa Yoga with Brittany $10



If all that is a bit too athletic for you, there are other ways to feel good. In my experience, when you look good, you feel good. I've been getting lots of compliments on my eye lash extensions. This week I thought I'd show you some other people who've got them. I lifted these pics from the Eye Candie Shop Facebook page.

Eye Candie Shop
728 Pacific Ave. Suite 200, Tacoma, WA.
http://www.theeyecandieshop.com/
Connect on Facebook 
Stacy, owner of Eye Candie Shop, explains a few different types and styles of lash extensions in her photo captions:

Stacy's caption for this photo:"Fancy full-extra curl!"

Stacy's caption for this photo:"Blink! Fancy Full"

Stacy's caption for this photo: "Destinee with Diva length cat eye shape mink lashes."

Stacy's caption for this photo:"Before and After"

Stacy's caption for this photo: "Go Kendal!! Just got a Fancy Full set, getting ready for her husband to come home from his 1 yr deployment. Watch out Mr. Stearns!!! Lashes- my way of supporting the troops ;-)"

Clara Spa  
1506 Pacific Avenue, Tacoma, WA 98402
Connect on Facebook
253.682.2005
http://www.ClarasSpa.com

This week I got my first body scrub with Destiny at Clara Spa. It was a Lavender Sugar Scrub with a hot Shea herbal wrap with coconut and jojoba oil. I was very relaxing, my skin felt awesome and while I was all serene and still wrapped up all cozy I had a moment of clarity and came up with a new plan for my upcoming ART DOORS exhibit. See? It pays to take time out! 

This is the warm, cozy, dimly lit room where Destiny gives these treatments.
Also I got my shellac manicure redone this week and Rosie said she's going to throw in not one but TWO Express Pedicures as prizes for the August ART BUS Tour! How awesome is that!

Old Town Dental 
2210 North 30th Suite B, Tacoma, WA 98403
http://www.old-town-dental.net
Connect on Facebook

Not so fun as lashes, pretty nails or body scrubs but equally as important is good dental care. I recently visitied Dr Lynn Kessler, DMD at Old Town Dental. She is a wonderful dentist and she has a cash discount for those of us without insurance. She mentioned to me that she's looking into doing her own in-house dental insurance and I think that sounds like a really great idea. If Paladina can do a $99 a month medical plan, why couldn't a dentist do the same? I hope she is able to figure out a way to make that work because I know a lot of people without dental insurance and everybody's got teeth! 

I have this theory that life is full of positive and negative moments. And if you're going through a period where the negative things feel bigger and more frequent, you have to look at it like a scale and purposely seek out and input some positive things to regain your balance. There are a lot of books, movies, articles, youtube videos and etc that help you look on the bright side of life, take control of your circumstances, regain your perspective and etc. I highly recommend having a stock pile of that sort of stuff around. I also like making lists of steps I can take to improve my situation and making a list of all the talents, resources, advantages and people I have in my life. Expressing gratitude and taking inventory can often lead me to connecting dots, coming up with new plans and spawning good ideas. But all that aside, in an emergency, I highly recommend MUSIC as a mood enhancer, calming influence, motivator and just overall good medicine. Choose well and music can change your whole outlook.

Its a medical fact that music effects our bodies and minds. I recently read the following in an acticle on the subject:

"Sound waves travel through the air into the ears and buzz the eardrums and bones in the middle ears. To decode the vibration, your brain transforms that mechanical energy into electrical energy, sending the signal to its cerebral cortex — a hub for thought, perception and memory. Within that control tower, the auditory cortex forwards the message on to brain centers that direct emotion, arousal, anxiety, pleasure and creativity. And there’s another stop upstairs: that electrical cue hits the hypothalamus which controls heart rate and respiration, plus your stomach and skin nerves, explaining why a melody may give you butterflies or goose bumps. Of course, all this communication happens far faster than a single drum beat. Before jetting through the blood stream, the signals are converted again — to hormones."  Read the whole article here


If you don't feel confident in your ability to select the right songs to lift your mood, try using Google or search Youtube! Lots of other people have done this homework assignment for you. Try "Happy Playlist" or "motivational playlist" or variations on that theme. I'll leave you with this one final thought:



XOXO,
Duchess of Downtown

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five Steps to better living (Wed. Feb. 8th)

What's in a name? Who are the Jossy's and where did they come from?

Elon Musk isn't the only one interested in the underground